Ride for a Cause
St. Louis is host to several charity bike rides this fall, which help you feel good inside and out. Here are some of our favorites, and tips from veteran riders:
1. The Bike MS: Express Scripts Gateway Getaway Ride kicks into gear with high mileage options and a route along some of central Missouri’s most beautiful scenery, Sept. 8-9. Food and live entertainment at Boone County Fairgrounds occupy the riders’ time off their bikes.
2. Now gearing up for its third year, Pedal the Cause draws thousands of goodhearted bikers Downtown, Oct. 6-7. With a mission to cure cancer by raising funds for research facilities like Siteman Cancer Center and St. Louis Children’s Hospital, the 15-, 25-, 50- or 80-mile ride doesn’t seem so daunting.
3. Help Food Outreach provide a Thanksgiving dinner for those in need through Cranksgiving, a nationwide charity bike ride event on Nov. 4. Participants pedal all around the city on 10- to 25-mile routes, collecting donations for Food Outreach.
• Ride in groups—it’s less intimidating.
• Be creative in your ideas for fundraising; show your passion.
• Find a good training schedule online to keep you on track, and stick to it.
• Be aware on your ride, but also relax and enjoy it—especially the scenery.
• If your workplace sponsors charity events, try to get them involved, too.