Photos: Arts and Education Council's 2014 Arts Awards
The crème de la crème of St. Louis arts gathered in the Khorassian Ballroom of the Chase Park Plaza hotel for the 23rd annual St. Louis Arts Awards last Monday night, to “honor individuals and organizations who achieve a legacy of artistic excellence and businesses that enrich St. Louis’ arts and cultural community.” Guests first mingled during a cocktail party in the Lindell room, then moved to the ballroom upstairs for a catered dinner, entertainment and the awards presentation. Jasmine Huda of KMOV handled master of ceremonies duties with considerable skill. The event is organized by the Arts and Education Council under the leadership of President Cynthia Prost.
The entertainment lineup ran the gamut from ballet to jazz singing, kicking off with the St. Louis Symphony IN UNISON Chorus, an all-volunteer group that performs in a variety of styles, singing in honor of the SLSO, honored for Excellence in the Arts. Antonio Douthit-Boyd and Alicia Graf Mack of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater performed the ballet “UNFOLD,” in tribute to Excellence in the Arts honoree Lee Nolting, the driving force of Coca’s dance program. Finally, jazz singer Denise Thimes performed with the Peter Martin Trio in tribute to Thelma and David Steward, honored for Excellence in Philanthropy.
2014 St. Louis Arts Awards Honorees:
- St. Louis Symphony – Excellence in the Arts
- Carl North and Nicholas Kryah, Metro Theater Company – Lifetime Achievement in the Arts
- Lee Nolting, Coca – Excellence in the Arts
- E. Desmond lee Fine Arts Education Collaborative – Arts Collaboration
- Edward Jones Partners and Association – Corporate Champions of the Arts
- Heidi Morgan, University City High School – Art Educator of the Year
- Thelma and David Steward – Excellence in Philanthropy
ALIVE Magazine was there to capture the event in pictures. All photos by Amber Joivan.