On Tap: Sub Zero Vodka Bar Installs One Of The First Beer Infusion Tap Systems In the Country
One of the first Fusion Tower beer infusing tap systems in the country has landed at Sub Zero Vodka Bar. Infusing cold tap beer with fruits, spices and other flavorings, the ingredients are placed in a glass chamber and then hooked to a beer keg system. After the mixture is pressurized in the 150 fluid-ounce system, the infused beer is ready to serve—below 32-degrees for the the best taste, according to Gamlin Restaurant Group Proprietor Derek Gamlin in a statement. Recent favorites at the Central West End bar include pink grapefruit IPA, orange and coffee bean Festivity Ale, orange-cranberry ginger Honkers Ale and Sub Zero Spice Ten Hills Pale Ale. A second system will soon be on its way to Gamlin Whiskey House. 308 N. Euclid Ave., Central West End, 314.367.1200
Jan. 23: Craft Beer Cellar is starting off its 2015 with the addition of two new weekly events. Beginning Friday from 7-9pm, the Clayton shop will be offering a weekly “Flight of the Week” in an open house-style setting which will feature a flight of five 4-ounce pours of the newest and most exciting beers to hit the shop. Lineups will be announced the Monday preceding the Friday event and prices will vary, but will range from $8-$12. And beginning Jan. 24, and repeating every Saturday from 7-9 pm thereafter, the shop will be hosting a free Bottle Swap party geared toward both newcomers to craft beer and seasoned veterans. 8113 Maryland Ave., Clayton, 314.222.2444
Jan. 31: Starlite Events and the Saint Louis Science Center are hosting Science On Tap, a beer-tasting event for your brain. Guests will learn the chemistry and science behind the beer brewing and bottling process, experience tastings of more than 50 beers, science demonstrations, live music and more. Tickets are $50 in advance and $60 at the door. 5050 Oakland Ave., Forest Park, 314.289.4400
Feb. 2: Kräftig beer sales will be making its way to Rolla and Springfield next month. The William K. Busch Brewing Co. was founded by William “Billy” Busch (of the A-B founding family) in 2011, and the Kräftig light brew has won the gold medal for the U.S. Open Beer Beer Championship the past three years. As reported by the St. Louis Post Dispatch, the brand continues to make its way toward becoming a national brand as it also extended outside its St. Louis base with sales in Columbia, Jefferson City, Lake of the Ozarks and Southeast Missouri.
The new year brought several new changes to The Dark Room. In addition to new hours and programming, Grand Center’s wine bar and photo gallery began offering a daily late night happy hour from 10pm-close and also become a sponsored venue of Mid-American School of Wine. Professional courses for the wine school and certifications will be held in the lounge on Sunday afternoons and Monday nights. Cost will range from $25-$45 per class.
The Dark Room is also offering these daily specials:
- Tuesdays – #HappiestHours all night with $6 select flatbreads, $5 sommelier select wines, $4 local beers, $3 house-made dips with bread and live music with The PolyDimensionals from 7:30-10pm. No cover.
- Wednesdays – “Wine Flights Wednesdays” with all wine flights for $15 plus half off select flight pour upgrades. There will be live Jazz with Kasimu Taylor Trio from 9-11pm. No cover.
- Thursdays – Starting March 12, “Slow Down & Indulge” with slow-cooked meals by top local chefs paired with sommelier selected wines plus a special dessert, cordials and dessert wine menu. Prix-fixe menu for $49, reservations required.
- Fridays – Champagne bottle and cocktail specials with soulful, Nu Jazz from pianist Mo Egeston from 6:30-9pm.
- •Saturdays – Starting in February, enjoy late night wine specials 9pm-close with a vinyl-only set in a lounged out vibe of rare groove selections from STL’s top DJs. No Cover. 615 N. Grand Blvd., Grand Center, 314.531.3416
Herbie’s in Central West End has made some notable features on its bar program recently. Guests can make their brunch experience even better with the famous unlimited Bloody Mary bar as well as the newest addition of the unlimited mimosa bar complete with a seasonally rotating selection of purees and juices. Industry night is on Mondays for those who work at a restaurant, hospital or university with happy hour food and drink specials all night. Happy hour is from Monday-Friday from 4-7pm with Friday Night Flights for $7 beer and $12 wine pairings. And for every bottle of wine purchased while visiting, guests get their name and email on the cork to be entered in the monthly Wine Cork Contest to win a free bottle of wine that you can enjoy during your next dinner or take to go with you. 405 N. Euclid Ave., Central West End, 314.769.9595