Entertaining: Eat Well, Live Well
A heart-healthy recipe that tastes gourmet? Well get into the kitchen for that.
It can seem as though the most delicious dishes are usually the least healthy; we typically equate comfort and feel-good emotions with rich foods that have been slathered with butter, covered in cheese or are high in sugar, salt or fat—not the best for maintaining low cholesterol and a healthy heart. But with one simple recipe, Schnucks Cooks have made it easy to whip up a restaurant-quality meal that incorporates ingredients proven to help keep your ticker in top form.
Salmon and Herb Sauce
WHAT YOU NEED:
• 1 small lemon
• 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
• 1/3 cup chopped assorted Full Circle fresh herbs such as chives, dill, tarragon and thyme
• 1/4 cup Schnucks light sour cream
• 1 tablespoon water
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 1/4 pounds fresh salmon fillet, cut into 4 equal pieces
• 1/2 teaspoon Schnucks extra-virgin olive oil
WHAT TO DO:
1. From lemon, grate 1 teaspoon peel and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice; transfer to small serving bowl. Stir in mayonnaise, herbs, sour cream, water, salt and pepper; set aside.
2. Preheat grill pan over medium heat. Brush top of salmon with olive oil. Place salmon, oil-side down, in pan and cook 10 to 12 minutes, turning once, or until salmon turns almost opaque throughout and reaches an internal temperature of 145°F. Spoon herb sauce over salmon to serve.
MacMurry Ranch Pinot Noir
Many studies over the past few decades suggest moderate consumption of red wine can reduce the risk of heart disease. The potential benefits of vino are primarily due to high flavinoid, polyphenol and antioxidant contents in red wines. For a perfect complement to this dish, pour a pinot noir. Our pick, straight from the heart of the Sonoma wine country, is MacMurray Ranch Russian River Valley Pinot Noir, a wine with rich flavors of red and black fruit. This wine’s subtle oakiness adds richness and depth to the finish, and its earthy, spicy notes pair fantastically with grilled salmon, rack of lamb and mushroom risotto ($10.99 at Schnucks).
Salmon and Herb Sauce