Celebrate and Support Art At The Luminary’s Lot 49 Art Auction and Benefit

By Natalie Boesch
In Culture

On March 11, 2016, The Luminary—an artist-run art gallery-and-more on Cherokee Street—anticipates more than 400 attendees for the first of the hopefully annual arts auction and benefit dubbed Lot 49. Co-Director and Curator James McAnally says that the idea for the event came from a desire to support the artists that The Luminary works with as well as to “connect our sustainability to the overall growth of the art community.”

946166_1088180947888251_559611605090760967_n

Photo courtesy of The Luminary

The goal of Lot 49 is to preserve and strengthen The Luminary’s position as a support system for artists. While most galleries split art sales half-and-half, 51 percent of sales from art sold during Lot 49 will go directly to the artist while the remaining 49 percent will fund The Luminary’s many programs, including their residency program.

Throughout the year the Luminary invites 15-20 artists, critics and curators from around the globe to reside in St. Louis and expand the art scene at an international level. McAnally aims to use some of the proceeds from Lot 49 to develop on-site housing for the residents that The Luminary hosts.

The inspiration for the name of the event comes both from the atypical 49/51 proceed split as well as Thomas Pynchon’s postmodern novella “The Crying of Lot 49.″ Artist Conrad Bakker even created a handmade replica of the book that will be featured and available for purchase during the event.​

Providing the public with the opportunity to live with art that they love while concurrently supporting artists and The Luminary excites James McAnally the most about Lot 49: “We have some incredible artists participating, both locally and nationally, and with work at all price points. I think it will be a meaningful opportunity to own great artwork for a great cause.”

McAnally holds true to The Luminary’s vision of community-and-artist support by keeping entrance into Lot 49 reasonably priced. The $10 suggested donation allows the public even more opportunity to buy the artwork that moves them while funding The Luminary’s ambitions. To ensure first-dibs on any pieces you really want displayed in your home, you can purchase a $50 ticket for the VIP Preview which includes beer, wine and food from Kitchen Kulture and Salt+Smoke. You’ll be allowed to meet the artists and purchase their work before The Luminary’s doors open to the public at 8pm.

March 11, 2016
6-11pm
2701 Cherokee Street, Gravois Park

For more information or to buy VIP tickets click here or call (314) 773-1533.

Recent Posts